Four killed in Maoist attack in Jharkhand
Giridih (Jharkhand): Four persons, including three policemen, were killed and six others injured when Maoists fired on a transit van ferrying prisoners and a police escort car to free their cadres in this town on Friday.
A group of around 25 Maoists, including women cadres, blocked the road with a truck at Udna More and fired on the transit van ferrying prisoners including Maoists back to jail from court, and the escorting police car, Deputy Superintendent of Police Shatrughan Razzak told reporters here.
"The two vehicles hit a wall under the hail of fire from the Maoists with three policemen and a prisoner killed in the attack," he said.
DGP G S Rath said that there were 32 prisoners in all, eight of them being Maoists.
"All the eight Maoists fled. One of the remaining 24 prisoners died, one was injured while two returned to jail on their own," Rath said in Ranchi.
The six injured policemen, including a woman constable, were hospitalised.
Six bombs which failed to explode were recovered from the spot, the DSP said.
According to Jail Superintendent A Choudhary, the 32 prisoners were taken to court for production, of whom eight were Maoists.
The Maoists prisoners were Baijanth Tiwari, Ramesh Mandal, Mithilesh Mandal, Nimchand Mahto, Sahedeo Soren, Bipin Mandal, Chotka Marandi and Panstosh Hembram, he said.
"Two prisoners, Ramesh Sao and Sanjay Verma returned to the jail on their own," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?