Freedom fighter ends fast after pension assurance
Ranchi: A 99-year-old freedom fighter and his 86-year-old wife ended their indefinite hunger strike here after the government assured them of old age pension and initiating steps for him to receive pension for taking part in the independence struggle.
Cheddi Ram and his 86-year-old wife Chamni Devi from Godda district, 500 km from Ranchi, went on an indefinite hunger strike near Raj Bhavan Saturday. He claimed that he actively participated in the Quit India Movement but wasn`t accorded a pension despite efforts since 1981.
He was forcefully lifted from the strike place Monday and shifted to Rajendra Institute of Medical Science`s (RIMS) ICU in Ranchi.
Ranchi district administration Tuesday took steps to end his fast. Sub Divisional Officer Shekhar Jamuar met the couple in RIMS and persuaded them to end the hunger strike. The elderly couple ended their fast by taking a sip of juice from him.
Jamuar facilitated the couple to speak to the deputy commissioner of Godda district who assured them that they would start getting old age pension.
Arun Pandey of the Jharkhand unit of the National Senior Citizens Forum said, “The couple ended their fast after assurances given by the district administration. The administration has assured to start old age pension and initiate steps to get him freedom fighter pension."
The couple had said Saturday that they were trying to get pension since 1981.
"On Oct 13, we informed the governor, chief minister, chief secretary and others that we would sit on indefinite hunger strike if our demand for pension was not cleared by Oct 30," Ram said.
Any person who had fought for the freedom of the country is entitled to a monthly pension of Rs.3,000 after authorities have verified the genuineness of the claim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city