Grateful Jharkhand gives Shibu Soren house for life
Ranchi: Acknowledging his services for the creation of Jharkhand, the state cabinet has decided to give free accommodation for life to Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) chief and ruling alliance coordination committee chairman Shibu Soren.
"Soren will get free accommodation for his contribution for separate Jharkhand statehood movement. Now he can stay in the official residence situated at Morabadi," an official said late Wednesday.
Former chief ministers were provided free accommodation, personal secretaries, vehicle, fuel and other facilities. But the governor advisory council had withdrawn these facilities during the president`s rule between June and August this year.
Four former chief ministers Babulal Marandi, Arjun Munda, Shibu Soren and Madhu Koda were asked to vacate their bungalows within three months.
"The Munda government has recognised the contribution of Soren and we appreciate the move to provide free accommodation to him," Supriyo Bhattacharya, a senior JMM leader, said.
Arjun Munda of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) became the chief minister with support of the JMM and others Sep 11.
After becoming the chief minister, Munda shifted to the official residence of the chief minister at Kanke Road.
Soren has been staying in the same bungalow since late 1990s. Its market price is pegged at over Rs.20 crore.
The two other former chief ministers - Babulal Marandi and Madhu Koda - will have to vacate the government bungalows they are occupying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi