Grateful Jharkhand gives Shibu Soren house for life
Ranchi: Acknowledging his services for the creation of Jharkhand, the state cabinet has decided to give free accommodation for life to Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) chief and ruling alliance coordination committee chairman Shibu Soren.
"Soren will get free accommodation for his contribution for separate Jharkhand statehood movement. Now he can stay in the official residence situated at Morabadi," an official said late Wednesday.
Former chief ministers were provided free accommodation, personal secretaries, vehicle, fuel and other facilities. But the governor advisory council had withdrawn these facilities during the president`s rule between June and August this year.
Four former chief ministers Babulal Marandi, Arjun Munda, Shibu Soren and Madhu Koda were asked to vacate their bungalows within three months.
"The Munda government has recognised the contribution of Soren and we appreciate the move to provide free accommodation to him," Supriyo Bhattacharya, a senior JMM leader, said.
Arjun Munda of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) became the chief minister with support of the JMM and others Sep 11.
After becoming the chief minister, Munda shifted to the official residence of the chief minister at Kanke Road.
Soren has been staying in the same bungalow since late 1990s. Its market price is pegged at over Rs.20 crore.
The two other former chief ministers - Babulal Marandi and Madhu Koda - will have to vacate the government bungalows they are occupying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir?
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part II
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part III
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- Low-cost cancer treatment should be priority: NITI Aayog CEO
- SC orders medical board in abnormal foetus case
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media
- 1st Test, Day 2 Report: Kohli double ton, Ashwin century put India in charge against West Indies