Grateful Jharkhand gives Shibu Soren house for life
Ranchi: Acknowledging his services for the creation of Jharkhand, the state cabinet has decided to give free accommodation for life to Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) chief and ruling alliance coordination committee chairman Shibu Soren.
"Soren will get free accommodation for his contribution for separate Jharkhand statehood movement. Now he can stay in the official residence situated at Morabadi," an official said late Wednesday.
Former chief ministers were provided free accommodation, personal secretaries, vehicle, fuel and other facilities. But the governor advisory council had withdrawn these facilities during the president`s rule between June and August this year.
Four former chief ministers Babulal Marandi, Arjun Munda, Shibu Soren and Madhu Koda were asked to vacate their bungalows within three months.
"The Munda government has recognised the contribution of Soren and we appreciate the move to provide free accommodation to him," Supriyo Bhattacharya, a senior JMM leader, said.
Arjun Munda of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) became the chief minister with support of the JMM and others Sep 11.
After becoming the chief minister, Munda shifted to the official residence of the chief minister at Kanke Road.
Soren has been staying in the same bungalow since late 1990s. Its market price is pegged at over Rs.20 crore.
The two other former chief ministers - Babulal Marandi and Madhu Koda - will have to vacate the government bungalows they are occupying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital