Gun battle between security forces, Naxals in Jharkhand; 3 injured
Zee Media Bureau
Ranchi: Two days after fifteen security men and a civilian were killed in a deadly Maoist ambush in Chhattisgarh, yet another fierce gun battle between the security forces and Naxals was reported from Latehar district of Jharkhand on Thursday.
Three security personnel, including a CRPF assistant commander, were injured in the gun battle, which lasted for nearly an hour.
Superintendent of Police Michael S Raj told reporters here that apart from the CRPF assistant commander, a Jharkhand Jaguar jawan and another personnel were injured during the nearly hour-long encounter near the forests at Kuku village, a PTI report said.
In the Chhattisgarh ambush, of the, 11 out of 15 jawans killed, were from the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and four from the district police.
An estimated 300 guerrillas ambushed with indiscriminate fire and bomb attack a patrol of 50-55 men from the CRPF and police on a remote stretch of a forested road in Gheeram Ghati.
The attack took place at 10:15 am in a dense forest at `Jeerum Nullah`, 400 km from here, when a team of 48 joint security forces personnel was ambushed.
Naxals opened heavy fire and triggered landmine blasts while the team was out for an operational task in the jungles of Tongapal, close to the Dantewada and `Jeerum Ghati` axis, notorious for Naxal violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan