Gun battle between security forces, Naxals in Jharkhand; 3 injured
Zee Media Bureau
Ranchi: Two days after fifteen security men and a civilian were killed in a deadly Maoist ambush in Chhattisgarh, yet another fierce gun battle between the security forces and Naxals was reported from Latehar district of Jharkhand on Thursday.
Three security personnel, including a CRPF assistant commander, were injured in the gun battle, which lasted for nearly an hour.
Superintendent of Police Michael S Raj told reporters here that apart from the CRPF assistant commander, a Jharkhand Jaguar jawan and another personnel were injured during the nearly hour-long encounter near the forests at Kuku village, a PTI report said.
In the Chhattisgarh ambush, of the, 11 out of 15 jawans killed, were from the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and four from the district police.
An estimated 300 guerrillas ambushed with indiscriminate fire and bomb attack a patrol of 50-55 men from the CRPF and police on a remote stretch of a forested road in Gheeram Ghati.
The attack took place at 10:15 am in a dense forest at `Jeerum Nullah`, 400 km from here, when a team of 48 joint security forces personnel was ambushed.
Naxals opened heavy fire and triggered landmine blasts while the team was out for an operational task in the jungles of Tongapal, close to the Dantewada and `Jeerum Ghati` axis, notorious for Naxal violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened