Have a relook on anti-landmine vehicles: Ex-DGPs
Ranchi: Former Jharkhand police chiefs
on Sunday called for a re-look of anti-landmine vehicles as they
are unable to withstand explosions often and suggested a
support vehicle should follow it.
"Every aspect should be re-looked. Whether the
personnel inside the anti-landmine vehicles are fastening
their seat belts and wearing helmets?" former DGP V D Ram
"The anti-landmine vehicle can withstand about 30/40
kg explosives. If 50 to 80 kg explosives are used then it
cannot endure the impact," he said a day after 13 policemen
had been killed when Maoists blew up their anti-landmine
vehicle at Bariganwa forest in Garwha district.
Stating that the even if the anti-landmine vehicle is
tossed upto 30 feet high and falls down, the jawans, if worn
safety belts and helmets, could survive, Ram said the jawans
need not have to come out of the vehicle risking gunfire.
"There are holes in the vehicle to fire upon the
attackers. Besides, a support vehicle carrying armed personnel
should follow the anti-landmine vehicle some distance away to
prevent Maoists from reaching it after any blast. These are
the issues one should look into," Ram added.
Another ex-police chief R R Prasad said, "I am
surprised to know why this vehicle failed to resist the
explosion. We should examine the vehicle why it failed to
resist the explosion".
Calling for a re-look into the model of anti-landmine
vehicle, Prasad described that it as a trap laid by the
Maoists in yesterday`s incident and pointed out that rural
areas have few alternative routes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you