HC bar association protests HR violations in J&K
Srinagar: The High Court Bar Association
today held a protest march here against what it called growing
human rights violations in the valley and asked Chief Minister
Omar Abdullah to step down owning moral responsibility for the
killing of innocent youths.
Slogan-shouting lawyers led by the President of the
Kashmir HC Bar Association Abdul Qayoom and General Secretary
G N Shaheen broke the police cordon outside the Sadder court
premises and marched on the streets including Lal Chowk and
Addressing the protesting lawyers, Qayoom held
NC-congress coalition government responsible for the killing
of innocent youth and school going children and demanded the
resignation of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
"Omar should take responsibility for the killings and step
down as Chief Minister of the state", he said.
"Omar Abdullah is directly responsible for the innocent
killings of Zahid Farooq, Wamiq Farooq, Tufail Ahmad Matoo,
Javid Ahmad Malla and rape and murder of 12th class student
Asiya and her sister-in-law Nelofar of Shopian. Omar must step
down," the association General Secretary G N Shaheen said.
Opposing the appointment of Ashiq Hussain Bukhari as
Srinagar`s SSP, he said it will lead to fresh genocide of the
"Appointment of Bukhari by so-called Chief Minister Omar
Abdullah is a declaration of fresh genocide of the youth," he
Shaheen also said India and Pakistan have no legal
authority to negotiate Kashmir waters.
"The indus water treaty between India and Pakistan is by
international standards an illegal treaty and water resources
of Jammu and Kashmir cannot be usurped by India and Pakistan
by any mutual understanding or agreement," Shaheen said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan