Hemant Soren stakes claim to form govt in Jharkhand
Ranchi: Backed by Congress, JMM legislature party leader Hemant Soren on Tuesday met Jharkhand Governor Syed Ahmed and staked claim to form a new government in the state, claiming the support of 43 MLAs in the 82-member assembly.
Emerging from the Raj Bhavan, Soren said he had submitted to the Governor a list of 43 MLAs supporting his claim to form the government in the state which is under President`s rule.
"President`s rule has been in force in Jharkhand for the last six months and we have initiated the democratic process to form the government with the support of Congress, RJD and independents.
"We are ready and waiting for the Governor`s invitation. Even if he does it tomorrow, we are ready," Soren told reporters.
Jharkhand assembly has 82 seats and is in suspended animation since President`s rule was imposed on January 18 after JMM pulled out from the BJP-led government on January 8.
The staking of claim to form the government came nine days before the six-month spell of President`s rule ends.
Soren, who was Deputy Chief Minister in the previous government, was accompanied by Jharkhand PCC president Sukhdeo Bhagat, CLP leader Rajendra Prasad Singh, RJDLP leader Annapurna Devi, Independent MLAs Geeta Koda, wife of former CM Madhu Koda and Bidesh Singh and Jharkhand Jandhikar Manch MLA Bandhu Tirkey.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Modi finds 'Little India' with Diwali lights, delicious food in Singapore - In Pics