Hemant Soren sworn-in as Jharkhand CM
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: JMM`s Hemant Soren, son of party chief Shibu Soren, was sworn in as Jharkhand`s new CM after President`s rule was revoked early Saturday.
Earlier in the day, a press release from the Rashtrapati Bhavan said President Pranab Mukherjee had signed the proclamation under clause (2) of article 356 of the Constitution.
The tribal leader was administered the oath of office and secrecy by Governor Syed Ahmed at the Birsa Mandap situated in the premises of Raj Bhavan.
Rajendra Prasad Singh and Annapurna Devi, Legislature Party leaders of the Congress and the RJD respectively, were also sworn in as ministers.
Hemant Soren, who heads the ninth ministry in less than 13 years, became the fifth tribal CM after Babulal Marandi (once), Arjun Munda (thrice), Shibu Soren (thrice) and Madhu Koda (once) since the state was created on November 15, 2000.
Earlier, the Governor invited Soren for the swearing-in ceremony late last night after Raj Bhavan received official communication about the Presidential assent on the cabinet recommendation for revocation of central rule in the state.
The JMM-LP leader had staked claim on July 9 for formation of a government in alliance with Congress, Rashtriya Janata Dal, smaller parties and independent MLAs.
Soren, who gave the Governor a list of 43 MLAs supporting him in the 82-member Assembly, is expected to expand his ministry after taking the floor test.
The alternative coalition comes nearly six months after the imposition of President`s rule, which was to end on July 18.
The central rule was imposed on January 18 after the JMM withdrew support to the BJP-led government under Arjun Munda on January 8.
The JMM had extended support to the BJP on September 11, 2010, ending the President’s rule then. The central rule was imposed after the BJP had pulled out from the Shibu-Soren led alliance on May 24, 2010, as JMM chief had voted along with the UPA in a cut motion in Lok Sabha that year.
This is the third government in the same house, which was constituted after the results threw a fractured mandate in the November/December 2009 Assembly elections.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?