Huge cache of explosives seized ahead of Maoist bandh
The police have seized over 13,000 detonators and one tonne explosive materials from Ranchi district, ahead of Wednesday`s 24-hour Jharkhand bandh called by the Maoists.
Ranchi: The police have seized over 13,000 detonators and one tonne explosive materials from Ranchi district, ahead of Wednesday`s 24-hour Jharkhand bandh called by the Maoists.
On a tip off, the police raided some places at Tupudana on the outskirts of Ranchi and recovered the explosives last night, Senior Superintendent of Police Saket Kumar Singh told reporters here today.
Three suspected Maoists and four arms suppliers were arrested in this connection.
A total of 3,795 electronic detonators, about 9,800 ordinary detonators, one tonne explosives, including nine quintal ammonium nitrate, 1900 metre fuse wire, six gelatin pieces, Rs 20,000 in cash, four mobile phones and a motorcycle were seized during the search operation, Singh said.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Naussad Alam said "The arrested persons were preparing to handover the explosives to Kundan Pahan, the most wanted Maoist."
Among several cases, Pahan is wanted in the beheading of Special Branch Inspector Francis Indwar in 2009.
Meanwhile, security has been beefed up ahead of the 24-hour Jharkhand bandh starting from midnight tonight.
Police and para-military personnel were alerted at strategic places and patrolling along railway tracks intensified to prevent any untoward incident during the bandh, the police said.
Railway tracks, mobile phone towers, school buildings and forest rest houses had been the targets for the left-wing extremists during the past shutdowns.
The Maoists have reportedly called the bandh to protest against arrest of some of their cadres in neighbouring Odisha.