Hunger strike by Maoist undertrials
Jamshedpur: A dawn to dusk hunger strike was observed by 16 Maoist undertrials at Ghaghidih jail here on Monday demanding scrapping of section 17 of Criminal Law Amendment (CLA) Act.
The jail superintendent Tushar Ranjan Gupta said that the CPI(Maoist) undertrials had launched the fast alleging that they were falsely implicated under the act.
The protestors had assured that they would break the fast in the evening, he said.
The fast is being led by CPI(Maoist) leader Rajesh Singh alias Udai, who was transferred here from Naxal-affected Latehar district few months ago.
The undertrials had written a letter to Chief Justice of Jharkhand High Court about a fortnight ago demanding scrapping of the Act, which, they claimed would only delay the process for disposal of cases against them.
Security arrangement was tightened in and around the prison, which is situated in the outskirts of the steel city, to maintain law and order during the fast, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says