I voted as per my conscience on FDI motion: JMM MP
Medininagar: Jharkhand Mukti Morcha Lok Sabha member Kameswar Baitha on Tuesday said he went by his "conscience" while voting along with UPA against the Opposition motion on FDI in multi-brand retail.
"I voted as per my conscience. FDI is in the interest of the country and will open up job opportunities," Baitha, who is on bail on the charge of being a Maoist, told reporters here.
Claiming that he had rejected a phone call by party leader and Deputy Chief Minister Hemant Soren on the day of voting in Lok Sabha, Baitha said, "I have done the right thing in voting against the motion."
Baitha had fought the 2009 General elections from jail from Palamau on a JMM ticket and won.
Baitha voted for the Congress-led UPA government while JMM supremo and MP Shibu Soren abstained on the ground of ill health.
Sanjeev Kumar, the lone member of the JMM in the Rajya Sabha, had abstained when the motion was put to vote in the Upper House on December 7.
JMM is an ally in the ruling BJP-led government in Jharkhand.
It prompted BJP leader Yashwant Sinha on Sunday to term the JMM`s move as surprising.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Mumbai local crashes into platform at Churchgate Station
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him