Jamshedpur (Jharkhand): One student died and 13 others were admitted to a hospital on Sunday after they fell unconscious due to suffocation in Barkadal Upgraded school during Saraswati Puja at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district.
"This incident happened after 14 students went to sleep in a room after Saraswati puja in the school, keeping the generator on last night," District Education Officer, Hari Shankar Ram said.
As all the doors and windows were closed, the students fell unconscious due to suffocation, he said adding that the door was broken open to bring out the students early this morning.
They were rushed to M G M Hospital in Jamshdpur immediately in unconscious state but Shankar Besra died in the hospital, he said.
The 13 other students were admitted to Tata Main Hospital in Jamshedpur, Ram said adding that they were all students of class-VIII and class-IX.