Jharkhand aims to enhance silk production
Ranchi: Being the single largest producer of tussar silk in the country, Jharkhand is embarking on a mission to help India bridge the huge gap with China in silk production.
"We are a distant second behind China which produces 90,000 MT silk as against India`s 23,000 MT per annum. And we have made a vision document to increase silk production and promote livelihood in Jharkhand, Dhirendra Kumar, Managing Director of Jharkhand Silk Textiles & Handicrafts Development Corporation Limited (Jharcraft), sais.
"Jharkhand is the sole supplier of certified organic tussar silk in the world and it has a huge potential to increase production with its experienced weavers, particularly in the Santhal Pargana region and availability of host plants on which silkworms thrive," he said.
He said the immediate aim was to meet the country`s silk demand deficit of 10,000 MT and then produce more silk.
"We have prepared a vision document envisaging livelihood to more than 10 lakh beneficiaries at an estimated project cost of Rs 3,356 crore," he added.
Additional beneficiaries would get work in plantation of host plants, rearing, reeling and spinning, weaving, surface ornamentation and apparel stitching, he said.
A Rs 8,500-crore project was ready to be made operational in six districts of Santhal Pargana with focus on employment generation among scheduled tribes, scheduled castes, minorities and the poor, he said.
The Jharcraft has developed clusters which would provide supervision and marketing help on reeling, spinning, tribal paintings, stitching, katha stitch, satin stitch, block prints, appliqué and tie & dye.
To enrol employees, we will prepare norms and get it passed by the Cabinet, because it is a big project, he added.
Union Textile Minister K Sambasiva Rao had announced on October 25 that his department would provide assistance of up to Rs 1,000 crore to help Jharcraft`s endeavour in promoting livelihood for the rural poor and increasing silk production in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?