Jharkhand aims to enhance silk production
Ranchi: Being the single largest producer of tussar silk in the country, Jharkhand is embarking on a mission to help India bridge the huge gap with China in silk production.
"We are a distant second behind China which produces 90,000 MT silk as against India`s 23,000 MT per annum. And we have made a vision document to increase silk production and promote livelihood in Jharkhand, Dhirendra Kumar, Managing Director of Jharkhand Silk Textiles & Handicrafts Development Corporation Limited (Jharcraft), sais.
"Jharkhand is the sole supplier of certified organic tussar silk in the world and it has a huge potential to increase production with its experienced weavers, particularly in the Santhal Pargana region and availability of host plants on which silkworms thrive," he said.
He said the immediate aim was to meet the country`s silk demand deficit of 10,000 MT and then produce more silk.
"We have prepared a vision document envisaging livelihood to more than 10 lakh beneficiaries at an estimated project cost of Rs 3,356 crore," he added.
Additional beneficiaries would get work in plantation of host plants, rearing, reeling and spinning, weaving, surface ornamentation and apparel stitching, he said.
A Rs 8,500-crore project was ready to be made operational in six districts of Santhal Pargana with focus on employment generation among scheduled tribes, scheduled castes, minorities and the poor, he said.
The Jharcraft has developed clusters which would provide supervision and marketing help on reeling, spinning, tribal paintings, stitching, katha stitch, satin stitch, block prints, appliqué and tie & dye.
To enrol employees, we will prepare norms and get it passed by the Cabinet, because it is a big project, he added.
Union Textile Minister K Sambasiva Rao had announced on October 25 that his department would provide assistance of up to Rs 1,000 crore to help Jharcraft`s endeavour in promoting livelihood for the rural poor and increasing silk production in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why