Jharkhand appears headed for brief spell of President`s rule
Ranchi/New Delhi: Jharkhand appears headed for a brief spell of President`s rule after Chief Minister Arjun Munda resigned on Tuesday and recommended dissolution of the assembly and Congress showed no hurry to support formation of an alternative government.
The decision of the BJP-led government to seek dissolution of the assembly and the Chief Minister`s resignation left the situation wide open for Governor Syed Ahmed to decide the future course of action. He was said to be consulting constitutional experts.
BJP`s ruling coalition partner JMM, in a letter to the Governor, formally withdrew its support to the 28-month-old government pushing it into a minority.
Munda, on the other hand, met the Governor and resigned.
Later, he told reporters that "I have submitted the cabinet`s decision recommending to the Governor dissolution of the House along with my resignation".
His cabinet colleagues Gopal Krishna Patar of JD(U), Chandraprakash Choudhary of AJSU and several BJP MLAs were present when Munda submitted the letter at Raj Bhavan at 11.45 AM.
The Governor, he said, would decide on the recommendation for dissolution of the House.
"I have run the government with stability for the last two years. Dissolution of the House and seeking a fresh mandate is the alternative presently," he said.
The decision on recommending dissolution of the House was taken at a cabinet meeting held this morning to prevent any `horse trading-like situation`, Munda told a news agency before going to the Raj Bhavan.
"Seven ministers (of the coalition government) were present in the cabinet meeting and it was decided to recommend dissolution of the state Assembly," he said.
No JMM member was present at the meeting.
The decision, he said, was taken as no national party had openly come forward to provide an alternative government in the wake of the JMM’s announcement to pull out of the government.
Jharkhand has witnessed fast-paced political developments after BJP rejected all demands of JMM including handing over of power as per an `accord` on rotational leadership of the coalition.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended