Jharkhand appears headed for brief spell of President`s rule
Ranchi/New Delhi: Jharkhand appears headed for a brief spell of President`s rule after Chief Minister Arjun Munda resigned on Tuesday and recommended dissolution of the assembly and Congress showed no hurry to support formation of an alternative government.
The decision of the BJP-led government to seek dissolution of the assembly and the Chief Minister`s resignation left the situation wide open for Governor Syed Ahmed to decide the future course of action. He was said to be consulting constitutional experts.
BJP`s ruling coalition partner JMM, in a letter to the Governor, formally withdrew its support to the 28-month-old government pushing it into a minority.
Munda, on the other hand, met the Governor and resigned.
Later, he told reporters that "I have submitted the cabinet`s decision recommending to the Governor dissolution of the House along with my resignation".
His cabinet colleagues Gopal Krishna Patar of JD(U), Chandraprakash Choudhary of AJSU and several BJP MLAs were present when Munda submitted the letter at Raj Bhavan at 11.45 AM.
The Governor, he said, would decide on the recommendation for dissolution of the House.
"I have run the government with stability for the last two years. Dissolution of the House and seeking a fresh mandate is the alternative presently," he said.
The decision on recommending dissolution of the House was taken at a cabinet meeting held this morning to prevent any `horse trading-like situation`, Munda told a news agency before going to the Raj Bhavan.
"Seven ministers (of the coalition government) were present in the cabinet meeting and it was decided to recommend dissolution of the state Assembly," he said.
No JMM member was present at the meeting.
The decision, he said, was taken as no national party had openly come forward to provide an alternative government in the wake of the JMM’s announcement to pull out of the government.
Jharkhand has witnessed fast-paced political developments after BJP rejected all demands of JMM including handing over of power as per an `accord` on rotational leadership of the coalition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly