Ranchi: Around 90 people on Friday met Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren and narrated him how an agency, which was suppose to convince naxalites to surrender and get benefits, asked them to pose as naxals so that they could get a job in the police department under the policy.
Soren consoled the unemployed youth and said had they taken caution they would not have fallen victim, an official release said here.
Suggesting them to avail self-employment schemes run by the government, the chief minister directed the officials to prepare a district-wise list of such victims and give them priority in government-run schemes.
Additional Director General of Police Rezi Dungdung was present when the victims met the chief minister.
Soren has already recommended for a CBI probe into the fraud after and an FIR was filed in this connection a few months ago.
According to the FIR Digdarshan and another person had allegedly approached them to avail the surrender policy by pretending naxalites so that they could get a police constable job or become a home guard under the policy, besides other benefits.
Many of them gave money to the cheats selling land, but it was found none had any naxal-related case against them, Dungdung said, referring to how Digdarshan and R Bodra duped the youth to pretend naxalites and avail benefits under the surrender policy.
"Out of 414 people brought by the `cheats` only six or seven had naxal-related cases and the rest had none," the police officer said, adding Bodra had been in jails in Nagaland and Odisha earlier.
Under the surrender policy, several Maoists and ultras of the People`s Liberation Front of India and other splinter groups had surrendered in the last three/four years.