Jharkhand Congress demands Bharat Ratna for Dhoni
Ranchi: The Jharkhand unit of the Congress on Sunday demanded that the Bharat Ratna, India`s highest civilian award, be conferred on local boy Mahendra Singh Dhoni for leading India to victory in the cricket World Cup after 28 years.
"Dhoni should be honoured with the Bharat Ratna. We will write to the central government to confer the Bharat Ratna on Dhoni," Jharkhand Congress president Pradeep Balmuch told reporters here.
Balmuch met Dhoni`s parents and congratulated them for the Indian victory over Sri Lanka in the World Cup final at Mumbai on Saturday.
"I met the parents of Dhoni and congratulated them for the Indian victory under him. It is a great moment for the parents of Dhoni," said Balmuchu.
"We will honour Dhoni when he arrives in Ranchi," he said.
Celebrations continued in Ranchi for the second day after India beat Sri Lanka in the World Cup final in Mumbai Saturday. People thronged to Dhoni`s house situated at Harmu Housing Colony of Ranchi to congratulate his family members.
Dhoni`s parents however preferred not to speak to mediapersons. The entire city seemed to be in a celebration mood and there was praise all round for Dhoni.
Dhoni`s brother-in-law Gautam Gupta said: "We have no words to express our happiness."
Expressing happiness over the Indian victory, Chanchal Bhattacharyya, one of Dhoni`s former coaches, said: "Indian won the T20 World Cup and the World Cup under Dhoni. We feel great to have been associated with Dhoni."
Soon after Dhoni hit the winning six in the final, children, youth and elderly came onto streets to celebrate the Indian victory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part III
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part IV
- LGBT community won't be free till section 377 exists: Celina Jaitley
- Premature babies at greater of risk of osteoporosis in adulthood
- Government to crack down on savings scams as PM Modi backs banking for all
- Is your SOUL mature enough? Find out here
- Janice Dickinson looks extremely thin amid health crisis