Jharkhand: Congress legislator faces honour killing allegations
Ranchi: A Congress legislator in Jharkhand is under scanner after a youth, who reportedly wanted to marry the lawmaker`s daughter, was found dead on Thursday, police said.
Avinash Tiwari of Garwah district went missing under mysterious circumstances April 27. His body was found in Karra of Khuti district, police said. The victim`s father has alleged that Sawna Lakra, legislator from Khijri constituency, abducted and tortured his son for wanting to marry his daughter.
"My son called his friends April 29 and told them that the legislator and his bodyguard had made him captive and they were torturing him," Sanjay Tiwari, the victim`s father, told reporters.
Rajiv Ranjan, deputy superintendent of police, said: "The legislator`s daughter has admitted that she knew Avinash and wanted to marry him."
Police sources say that Lakra was against the love affair. Sources said Lakra`s house was raided on Thursday.
"My son was killed under a conspiracy and I want to the killers should be hanged," said Tiwari.
Meanwhile, the Congress has formed a three-member committee to look into the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Travel diaries: Bipasha Basu, hubby Karan Singh Grover are now holidaying in Barcelona
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin files petition in Bihar court, claims threat to his life from state govt
- Wimbledon: Serena Williams enters second round ousts Amra Sadikovic
- Malaika Arora maintains silence over Salman's rape metaphor
- `Run machine` Virat Kohli credits physical fitness for consistency in performance