Jharkhand: Congress legislator faces honour killing allegations
Ranchi: A Congress legislator in Jharkhand is under scanner after a youth, who reportedly wanted to marry the lawmaker`s daughter, was found dead on Thursday, police said.
Avinash Tiwari of Garwah district went missing under mysterious circumstances April 27. His body was found in Karra of Khuti district, police said. The victim`s father has alleged that Sawna Lakra, legislator from Khijri constituency, abducted and tortured his son for wanting to marry his daughter.
"My son called his friends April 29 and told them that the legislator and his bodyguard had made him captive and they were torturing him," Sanjay Tiwari, the victim`s father, told reporters.
Rajiv Ranjan, deputy superintendent of police, said: "The legislator`s daughter has admitted that she knew Avinash and wanted to marry him."
Police sources say that Lakra was against the love affair. Sources said Lakra`s house was raided on Thursday.
"My son was killed under a conspiracy and I want to the killers should be hanged," said Tiwari.
Meanwhile, the Congress has formed a three-member committee to look into the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- JNU shouts anti-nationalist slogans; nation questions intent
- Ishrat Jahan was LeT terrorist, reveals David Headley
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Siachen braveheart Lance Naik Hanumanthappa passes away
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches three new services for train passengers
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'