Jharkhand Congress legislator found guilty of murder
Ranchi: A Ranchi court on Monday convicted Jharkhand Congress legislator Sawana Lakra and three others of murder.
Lakra, 70, was an accused in the murder of 21-year-old Avinash Tiwari, who was reportedly in love with the niece of the Congress legislator.
Tiwari, a resident of Garwah district, went missing April 24, 2011. He had left for Ranchi, and was allegedly abducted by the legislator`s men.
Tiwari`s father had alleged that his son had been abducted by the legislator.
Tiwari`s bullet-riddled body was found April 27, 2011, in Khuti district of the state.
During investigations, police found that the legislator was behind the abduction and murder of Avinash Tiwari.
Besides the Congress legislator, his bodyguard and driver were also among those accused in the case. The court Monday also convicted the driver and bodyguard.
The quantum of sentence will be pronounced May 15.
Lakra has been in jail for the last two years.
Hearing the judgment, Lakra told reporters: "I am innocent. I will move the high court. I have full faith in the judiciary."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!