Jharkhand Congress MPs renew demand for govt formation
New Delhi: With Jharkhand facing political uncertainty, Congress MPs from the state on Thursday renewed their demand for government formation during an interaction with Rahul Gandhi.
PCC chief Pradip Balmuchu, who is also a Rajya Sabha MP, as well as former Union Minister Subodhkant Sahay pitched for Congress forming a coalition government in the state, saying that the party needed to go for a tie-up in the next Lok Sabha polls.
The state is under President`s rule following the fall of BJP-JMM government headed by Arjun Munda in January and two years are still left in the tenure of the Jharkhand Assembly.
Balmuchu is learnt to have told Gandhi that a large number of Congress MLAs as well as those from JMM are in favour of forming a government to which the Congress Vice President asked him to furnish the list of such MLAs, saying he would take up the issue with Congress President Sonia Gandhi.
While the state leadership of Congress was keen to form a government in the state, Sonia Gandhi appeared to have had reservations on the issue.
JMM top leaders had also come here but they could not meet any senior leader beyond the AICC in-charge for the state Shakeel Ahmed.
Congress has never been in power in Jharkhand since it was carved out of Bihar in 2000. Congress had allied with Shibu Soren-led JMM and Lalu Prasad`s RJD in 2004 Lok Sabha elections and the combine had won 12 of the 14 seats. When Congress fought alone in 2009 Lok Sabha polls, Subodhkant Sahay was the lone party leader to win a seat.
In Assembly elections, Congress had tied up with JMM in 2005, while it had allied with Babulal Marandi`s JVM (P) in 2010. Marandi had parted ways with UPA recently on the issue of FDI in multi-brand retail.
The leaders from Jharkhand explained to Gandhi the `pluses and minuses` of aligning with both JMM and JVM (P).
Sources said that Sahay, a former Union Minister, said in the meeting that BJP had been in power in the state in last 12 years because of Congress` `unwillingess` to explore the possibility of government formation due to fractured mandate and there was little likelihood of Assembly elections throwing up a clear verdict.
Sahay is also learnt to have said that the state`s development is suffering under the circumstances and referred to the the state`s budget lapses every year.
Balmuchu said that not aligning now and then having alliance in 2014 may not be correct.
He also met Congress President Sonia Gandhi. Earlier, he had met senior party leader A K Antony, who heads the party sub-group to explore alliances for the next general elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings