Jharkhand gang-rape case: Eight held
Ranchi: Eight persons, accused in the brutal gang-rape of four school girls in Pakur district, have been arrested, Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren said on Tuesday.
Terming the incident as shocking, he said a team would visit the area to probe the incident which occurred at a secluded spot near the school run by a mission.
"Eight of the nine accused have been arrested, and the one remaining will be caught soon," Soren told reporters in the presence of DGP Rajeev Kumar and Home Secretary NN Pandey here.
"The government will take the responsibility for the minor girls` education and train them in self-defence," he said.
The DGP said the arrested persons belong to Santhal Parganas.
The incident, with the girls being forcibly taken away by the accused, happened at Lobda village under Littipara police station on Sunday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister