Jharkhand government may face stability issue
Ranchi: The Hemant Soren government, which enjoys a wafer-thin majority, may land in trouble if the legislators supporting the ruling alliance and fighting the Lok Sabha poll get elected.
Eight of the 82 legislators have filed their nominations for the Lok Sabha poll.
Of the eight, seven belong to the ruling alliance. Of them, three quit their Assembly membership after switching their sides - two belonged to the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) and one a Congress legislator.
Two JMM legislators Hemalal Murmu and Vidyut Baran Mahto quit and joined the BJP. They have been fielded as Lok Sabha candidates from Rajmahal and Jamshedpur seats.
Chandra Shekhar Dubey, a Congressman, is fighting on TMC ticket from Dhanbad seat.
All three quit the membership of the assembly after they were served notices by the assembly Speaker Shashank Shekhar Bhokta on switching their sides under anti-defection law.
Four legislators who were supporting the Hemant Soren government are fighting poll.
Two legislators Bandhu Tirkey and Chamra Linda who were supporting Hemant Soren government have joined TMC and they are fighting poll from Ranchi and Lophardagga seat.
JMM legislator Jagganath Mahto is fighting Lok Sabha from Giridih seat on party ticket. Another legislator Geeta Koda who is supporting the government is also fighting the poll from Chaibasa seat. Geeta Koda is wife of former chief minister Madhu Koda.
From opposition parties, only one legislator Pradeep Yadav of Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P) is fighting from Godda seat on party ticket.
In the 82-member Assembly, Hemant was enjoying support of 43 legislators. After three legislator supporting his government quit membership, then the strength was reduced to 79 and it also reduced the supporting legislators strength to 40.
Opposition parties strength is 39.
In such a scenario, even if two of the four legislators supporting the Hemant Soren government are elected to the Lok Sabha then the government will reduce to a minority.
Hemant Soren during poll campaign admitted that there was a move to destabilise his government and appealed to party supporters to prepare for any eventuality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday