Jharkhand HC rejects Congress leader`s bail plea
Ranchi: The Jharkhand High Court on Monday rejected the bail petition of a Congress leader and his alleged accomplice in the `cash-for-votes` case, which was cracked by the police a day before Ranchi Mayoral Elections in April this year.
After hearing the bail petitions of Congress party`s district vice-president Niranjan Sharma and Sudhir Sahu, the bench of Justice HC Mishra delivered the verdict, rejecting their pleas.
A special vigilance court of Abani Ranjan Kumar Sinha had rejected former mayor Rama Khalkho on June 14, the prime accused in the FIR following the recovery of cash from a hotel here on April 7, a day before the elections.
City Superintendent of Police Manoj Ratan said Rs 21.9 lakh was recovered from the hotel.
While Sharma and Kumar were arrested the same day, Khalkho surrendered to the special vigilance court on June 4 and remanded to judicial custody.
The FIR alleged that the money was allegedly kept for electoral malpractice, leading the state election commission to scrap the April 08 Mayoral Elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand