Jharkhand: Journalist Priyabhansu`s judicial custody extended
Koderma: The judicial remand of journalist Priyabhansu Ranjan, who had surrendered on June 5 in connection with the death of his journalist girlfriend Nirupama Pathak, was on Friday extended by another 14 days by a local court here.
The court of RK Singh extended the judicial remand of Ranjan, who appeared before the court.
He was accused of abetting suicide of Nirupama, whose body was found at her home here on 29 April 2010.
Earlier, Ranjan`s bail plea had been rejected by the Jharkhand High Court after he approached it soon after the Chief Judicial Magistrate, Koderma, issued warrants against him in connection with Nirupama`s death.
The warrants by the local court were issued on the petition submitted by the police praying for issuance of warrants against him under section 306 (abetting the commission of suicide).
Initially a case of murder was filed against Nirupama`s mother Sudha Pathak and she was arrested. She got bail after remaining three months in judicial custody in 2010.
After Nirupama`s body was found at her native place at Chitra Gupta Nagar Colony at Jhumri Telaiya in Koderma town, Ranjan accused the family of killing their daughter after allegedly opposing their marriage.
The police, however, had said in its investigation that a forensic laboratory in Kolkata found that the suicide note was signed by Nirupama, and ruled out murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan