Jharkhand leaders violate land law?
Ranchi: Political leaders across the political spectrum in Jharkhand have been accused of violating a land law in the state.
Those facing the allegations include Deputy Chief Minister Hemant Soren, Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) chief Shibu Soren, Land and Revenue Minister Mathura Mahto, Congress president Pradeep Balmuchu and Bharatiya Janata Party`s (BJP) legislator Neel Kanth Singh Munda.
All of them have been accused of violating the Chotanagpur Tenancy Act, which says that only tribal people belonging to the same circle and police station can buy land of tribal people.
The allegation is that these leaders bought land outside their circle and police station jurisdiction.
Shibu Soren allegedly purchased land in Nagratoli area of Ranchi and Pradeep Balmuchu reportedly bought land at Hatma area in Ranchi. Mathura Mahto allegedly purchased land in Dhanbad district.
The leaders have denied violating any law.
Mathura Mahto said: "If the charges are proved, I will return the land."
The Jharkhand High Court this month said Scheduled Caste and Other Backward Class land cannot be purchased without permission from the deputy commissioner of the respective districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia