Jharkhand legislator holds kangaroo court
Ranchi: A Jharkhand legislator held a kangaroo court on Saturday and punished a man after his wife`s complaint over ill-treatment by her alcoholic husband.
Jagannath Mahto, a Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) legislator, held the `Jan Adalat` on the complaint of Jitendra Chaudhary`s wife at Bhandarida village situated in Bokaro district, around 140 Km from Ranchi.
The legislator asked his supporters to tie Chaudhary, in his early 30s, with a tree.
"He will be kept tied till he promises to quit drinking and lead a good life with the family members," Mahto told reporters.
The legislator said Chaudhary was an alcoholic and his family members were suffering due to his bad habit.
According to villagers, Chaudhary frequently thrashed his wife after drinking alcohol and also sold off her jewellery.
After the "punishment" awarded at the court held by the legislator, Jitendra told reporters: "I will quit drinking."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Kareena Kapoor Khan opens up on her pregnancy, says she is proud of it!
- PHOTO (Inside): Not for the faint-hearted! Saina Nehwal shares image of her knee's broken bone
- 'Domestic airfares to decline at lower rate in Q2'
- US, Ukraine to conduct observation flights over Russia
- 25-year-old woman gang-raped, two arrested