Jharkhand Maoist attack: Pakur SP sought help but could not be saved
Ranchi: Pakur Superintendent of Police Amarjit Balihar, who was ambushed and killed Tuesday in Jharkhand, had desperately contacted a police officer and sought help but was promptly killed and the gunshots were heard over his mobile phone, police said.
Maoist guerrillas killed the Pakur Superintendent of Police (SP) in an ambush Tuesday.
According to DGP Rajiv Kumar, the Deputy Inspector General of Police of Dumka range had called a meeting of senior officers in Dumka, around 350 km from Ranchi Tuesday.
"Balihar was ambushed when he was returning to his office," Kumar said.
The attack took place in a jungle stretch between Kathikund and Gopikanar when Balihar`s convoy was passing through. Balihar was returning in a private vehicle.
Around 40 to 50 guerrillas, who were hiding, initially triggered a landmine and later fired at random at the police convoy in classic Maoist style.
When Balihar came under attack, he called the inspector of the Amrapara police station for help.
Police officers rushed to spot but it was too late.
According to police sources, Maoist guerrillas asked the SP to call police officers for help.
Balihar called and sought help, but he was killed and gun shots were heard by the police officers on his mobile.
Police sources that the Maoist had concrete information of Balihar`s movement.
Jharkhand Governor Syed Ahmad Wednesday paid homage to Balihar.
Balihar`s body was brought by helicopter to Ranchi Wednesday morning.
Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) chief Shibu Soren, Chief Secretary R.S. Sharma, police chief Rajiv Kumar as well as senior officials were present at Jharkhand Armed Police (JAP) ground when the final tributes were paid to Balihar.
Balihar had joined as deputy superintendent of police in 1986. He was promoted to the IPS in 2003. This was his first posting as a district SP.
He is survived by his wife Suman Lata Balihar, who is a teacher, two daughters and a son.
He last spoke to his wife around 2 p.m. when he was returning to Pakur from Dumka. He promised his wife he would come to Ranchi Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi