Jharkhand: Naxals using school kids as human shields
Lohardaga: Tribal children in Jharkhand are continued to be misled by the red rebels to strengthen their numbers and to use them as human shields.
In Pathari village of Lohardaga district in Jharkhand, which remains a stronghold of Tritiya Prastuti Committee (TPC), a Naxal outfit, school going children remain their main target.
The villagers disclosed that TPC cadres compel the children aged 13-14 years-old to join their outfit and strengthen their cadres.
The red rebels also exploit them as human shields against security forces and use them to transfer their consignments.
Ganesh Lal, a villager, confirmed the truth by saying: “The Naxals are targeting children as they can be easily influenced to join the outfits.
There are many instances where rebels are recruiting children to prepare them for anti-national activities”.
Poor villagers who have seen their children being snatched away are reluctant to lodge any complaint with the police.
They fear they will be attacked by the Naxals.
There are several other villages in Jharkhand where villagers are victims of Naxal atrocities. In Mahuatand village of Latehar district, the rebels have ordered each family to offer one teenager for their cause.
Experts believe that illiteracy and poverty have forced many villagers to silently follow the orders of the Naxals.
“The Naxals offer a monthly income and food to the poor children and their families to convince them that what they are doing is in their favour. It is highly condemnable. These children should be in schools.
However, will these Naxals let their kids join their outfits? I don’t think so. Even Naxals are not allowing their children to be part of their movement and are sending them for studies, said Kishore Kumar Verma, an expert on Naxal affairs.
Naxal outfits in various states across India are increasingly using minors, some of them as young as six years, to swell its ranks.
These minors are groomed and trained in camps in Naxal-dominated jungles and hence assigned different roles.
At the age where they are supposed to get education, these innocent minds are being trapped by Naxals and their ideology.
For last few years, Naxal violence has been considered a grave threat to India’s internal security.
And, poor tribal villagers remain their prime targets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?