Jharkhand: Ninth century antiquities found by archaeologists
Ranchi: Archaeologists have stumbled upon a number of antiquities, including Buddha stupas, belonging to the 9th century AD at Itkhori in Jharkhand’s Chatra district.
In their first excavation exercise this year, the archaeologists found 58 antiquities, including four Buddha stupas, at Itkhori, N G Nikoshey, Superintending Archaeologist (Ranchi Circle) of the Archaeological Survey of India, said.
"Among the discoveries made were Buddha statues in various mudras and Boddhisatva deities dedicated to Buddhism. Antiquities belonging to the Jainism and Hinduism were also found during the excavation," he said.
The mound, where the objects are found, is spread across 500x150 metres and dates back to the 9th and 10th centuries Pala period, he explained.
While 58 antiquities were kept with the department, the villagers kept about 400 antiquities under a shed there refusing to hand them over.
There were also semi-precious stones, terracotta and metals used as toy objects, ornaments, household objects and ritualistic objects among the finds, he said.
Also found was a brick floor of single course at the stupa number one at the North-Western side of the excavated place, which measured 3.8M in length and 2.35M width.
As many as 17 intent hopscotch, made of both terracotta and sandstone, and six beads of terracotta were recovered in the excavation, he said.
Other materials, which were recovered, were chillum hukka, terracotta animal figurines, terracotta seal, potter-stamp, skin-rubber, copper bangle and iron objects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India