Jharkhand opposed to Centre`s new water policy
New Delhi: BJP-ruled Jharkhand on Friday opposed the Centre`s new water policy, saying it indicates a design to tamper with the basic structure of the Constitution as water comes under the state subject.
Participating in the 6th meeting of the National Water Resource Council here, Chief Minister Arjun Munda said, "There is no need to enact any central law on this subject nor it is in consonance with the provisions of the Constitution."
Raising the issue of inadequate water supply to the tribal state despite major part of the catchment areas of Damodar-Barakar river basin and Mayurakshi river basin falling in Jharkhand, Munda also demanded a review of the provisions that lead to "disproportionate water division" in the state.
The Jharkhand Chief Minister said that since all the provisions of the National Water Policy-2012 are related to better management "the need is that the Centre should recommend the proposed provisions for better water resources management as envisaged in the new central policy to states so that they can manage the water resources better".
He rued that while on one hand there is a talk about integrated water management, there is no discipline in the current education system to prepare experts for the same.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn