Jharkhand opposed to Centre`s new water policy
New Delhi: BJP-ruled Jharkhand on Friday opposed the Centre`s new water policy, saying it indicates a design to tamper with the basic structure of the Constitution as water comes under the state subject.
Participating in the 6th meeting of the National Water Resource Council here, Chief Minister Arjun Munda said, "There is no need to enact any central law on this subject nor it is in consonance with the provisions of the Constitution."
Raising the issue of inadequate water supply to the tribal state despite major part of the catchment areas of Damodar-Barakar river basin and Mayurakshi river basin falling in Jharkhand, Munda also demanded a review of the provisions that lead to "disproportionate water division" in the state.
The Jharkhand Chief Minister said that since all the provisions of the National Water Policy-2012 are related to better management "the need is that the Centre should recommend the proposed provisions for better water resources management as envisaged in the new central policy to states so that they can manage the water resources better".
He rued that while on one hand there is a talk about integrated water management, there is no discipline in the current education system to prepare experts for the same.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'