Jharkhand opposition finds achievement in defeat
Jamshedpur: After the defeat of its
candidate against Jharkhand Chief Minister, the National
Jharkhandi Alliance on Thursday said the outcome of the Kharswan
by-poll was an achievement for the opposition camp as the
winning margin Arjun Munda has decreased.
Munda had won the last Assembly election from Kharswan
in 2005 by over 52,000 votes, while this time his winning
margin was only over 17000, Convenor of National Jharkhandi
Alliance Surya Singh Besra said.
"Our consensus candidate, Dasrath Gagrai of Jharkhand
Vikas Morcha (Prajatantrik), garnered 44,355 votes while Munda
got 61,801 votes," said Besra, who is also the president of
Jharkhand People`s Party (JPP).
One should keep in mind that Munda represented the
same Kharswan seat thrice on the trot since 1995, he said.
Mangal Singh Soy, the Kharswan MLA who vacated the
seat for Munda, had won by a margin of 27,000 votes in 2009.
"It is also an achievement for us that the opposition
exhibited unity at an appropriate time," he said.
"The result of the by-election proved our allegation
that the ruling party`s Mudra (money) emerged victorious over
Mudda (issues)," he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption