Jharkhand party not to join Rajya Sabha polls
Ranchi: The second main opposition party of the state - Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P) - Monday decided it would neither field a candidate nor support any party in the Feb 7 Rajya Sabha polls.
"A party meeting took place today in which it was decided not to field candidate in the poll or support any party`s candidate in the RS polls. We do not have numbers, so we will not field candidate," JVM-P general secretary Praveen Singh told reporters.
The JVM-P has 11 legislators in the 82-member state assembly.
Baulal Marandi, the first chief minister of Jharkhand, is the president of the JVM-P.
The main opposition party, Bharatiya Janata Party, has also not yet decided on fielding candidate.
The two parties of the ruling alliance - the Congress and the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) - have announced they would field their candidates.
The seats will fall vacant as the terms of the BJP`s Rajya Sabha member J.P.N. Singh and Independent member Parimal Nathwani are ending.
Of the six Rajya Sabha seats from the state, the Congress has two while the BJP, the JMM and the Trinamool Congress (TMC) have one each besides an Independent member. Though K.D. Singh won on a JMM ticket, he later joined the TMC.
The Rajya Sabha elections for 55 seats across 16 states are scheduled Feb 7. While the notification will be published Jan 21, the last date for filing nominations is Jan 28. The term of the sitting MPs ends April 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read