Jharkhand party not to join Rajya Sabha polls
Ranchi: The second main opposition party of the state - Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P) - Monday decided it would neither field a candidate nor support any party in the Feb 7 Rajya Sabha polls.
"A party meeting took place today in which it was decided not to field candidate in the poll or support any party`s candidate in the RS polls. We do not have numbers, so we will not field candidate," JVM-P general secretary Praveen Singh told reporters.
The JVM-P has 11 legislators in the 82-member state assembly.
Baulal Marandi, the first chief minister of Jharkhand, is the president of the JVM-P.
The main opposition party, Bharatiya Janata Party, has also not yet decided on fielding candidate.
The two parties of the ruling alliance - the Congress and the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) - have announced they would field their candidates.
The seats will fall vacant as the terms of the BJP`s Rajya Sabha member J.P.N. Singh and Independent member Parimal Nathwani are ending.
Of the six Rajya Sabha seats from the state, the Congress has two while the BJP, the JMM and the Trinamool Congress (TMC) have one each besides an Independent member. Though K.D. Singh won on a JMM ticket, he later joined the TMC.
The Rajya Sabha elections for 55 seats across 16 states are scheduled Feb 7. While the notification will be published Jan 21, the last date for filing nominations is Jan 28. The term of the sitting MPs ends April 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh