Jharkhand party not to join Rajya Sabha polls
Ranchi: The second main opposition party of the state - Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P) - Monday decided it would neither field a candidate nor support any party in the Feb 7 Rajya Sabha polls.
"A party meeting took place today in which it was decided not to field candidate in the poll or support any party`s candidate in the RS polls. We do not have numbers, so we will not field candidate," JVM-P general secretary Praveen Singh told reporters.
The JVM-P has 11 legislators in the 82-member state assembly.
Baulal Marandi, the first chief minister of Jharkhand, is the president of the JVM-P.
The main opposition party, Bharatiya Janata Party, has also not yet decided on fielding candidate.
The two parties of the ruling alliance - the Congress and the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) - have announced they would field their candidates.
The seats will fall vacant as the terms of the BJP`s Rajya Sabha member J.P.N. Singh and Independent member Parimal Nathwani are ending.
Of the six Rajya Sabha seats from the state, the Congress has two while the BJP, the JMM and the Trinamool Congress (TMC) have one each besides an Independent member. Though K.D. Singh won on a JMM ticket, he later joined the TMC.
The Rajya Sabha elections for 55 seats across 16 states are scheduled Feb 7. While the notification will be published Jan 21, the last date for filing nominations is Jan 28. The term of the sitting MPs ends April 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- Bulandshahr rape case: No CBI probe, says Supreme Court
- India's economy never been in stronger position than today: Parekh
- HP's privacy screen secures notebooks from visual hacking
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai receive Khel Ratna award
- Significance of why Lord Shiva wears tiger skin! Read more