Jharkhand Police arrests PLFI zonal commander in Gumla
Gulma: Jharkhand Police has arrested a Maoist named Sukra Orao from Ghaghra area of Gumla district.
Gumla Superintendent of Police (SP) Rakesh Bansal informed that the arrested ultra is a member of the People`s Liberation Front of India (PLFI).
"He calls himself the zonal commander of the PLFI. A 315 rifle, a 9 mm pistol, two magazines, nine bullets and three mobile phones have been recovered. There is also an Apache motorcycle. We suspect that it might have been robbed at Ranchi," he said, while interacting with the media on Friday.
The Maoist insurgents are estimated to number around 7000 hardcore fighters in nearly a third of India`s 630 districts. While they have made few inroads into cities, they have spread into rural pockets in 20 of 28 states.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has described Naxalism as the gravest internal security challenge to the nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok