Jharkhand police seize Maoist arms
Bano: Police in Jharkhand`s Simdega District have seized a cache of arms, including rifles, bullets and other essential belongings of Maoists.
Superintendent of Police Aseem Vikrant Minj also confirmed that a gun battle had taken place with the rebels.
The Maoists fled from the area after the encounter.
"During the search, three rifles which are country made, ten rounds of 7.62 bore bullets, 26 rounds of .12 bore bullets, nine backpacks, some medicines, their outfit`s pamphlets, food material, camera, chargers, etc were seized," said Minj.
The Maoist insurgents are estimated to number between 6,000 and 8,000 hardcore fighters in nearly a third of India`s 630 districts. While they have made few inroads into cities, they have spread into rural pockets in 20 of 28 states.
Maoists say they are fighting for the rights of marginal and landless farmers, and poor labourers. Thousands have been killed in the insurgency since the late 1960s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly