Jharkhand Police to review intelligence network
Dumka: Stunned by the brutal Maoist attack on Tuesday that claimed the lives of six policemen, including Pakur SP Amarjeet Balihar, Jharkhand Police will review its intelligence network.
"We will review and a special drive will be carried out against the Maoists," state Home Secretary NN Pandey told reporters when asked whether intelligence failure had led to the attack in the Santhal Parganas area.
Balihar was known for his tough stand against Maoists and had been their target ever since he took charge at Pakur.
Today`s attack was so sharp and sudden that the policemen, who were returning in two vehicles from Dumka to Pakur, could not retaliate and the attackers made away with their arms.
Pandey reached Dumka and visited the hospital where the injured were admitted.
The review meeting, whose date is yet to be announced, would also discuss whether the police personnel stuck to the drill while moving in the Maoist dominated areas, sources said.
Sporadic Maoist violence had been reported from both Pakur and Dumka districts for the past five years and police had assured that intelligence network would be tightened in the two areas.
The assurance had been given after the killing of a nun, Sister Valsa Joan in November 2011 at Pachuara in Pakur.
According to the police, the nun was killed by Maoists as she was campaigning for tribal rights in the area for years.
On June 13, DGP Rajeev Kumar told a press conference in the presence of Governor Syed Ahmed in Ranchi that Jharkhand Intelligence Training and Technology School was fully functional.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31