Jharkhand police use helicopter gunship to take on Maoists
Ranchi: Police in Ranchi used a helicopter gunship to flush out Maoists, eliminating two, on Friday.
The paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force was involved in a joint operation with state police named `Jharkhand Jaguar` which took place around here.
The security forces fired 500 rounds of bullets and also lobbed grenades in the encounter that lasted for almost one-and-a-half hour.
Two Maoists were killed in the operation.
A huge cache of arms and ammunition including 200 kilograms of lethal explosives, equal amount of ammonium nitrate, 100 detonators and 30 kilograms of can bombs were recovered.
Praveen Kumar, Superintendent of Police, Ranchi, said more operations using helicopters would be mounted in the area to nab the rebels.
"We used the helicopter gunship we had sent one team via helicopter while the encounter was going on and I visited this area via a helicopter because we have to carry out next operation in the same area," Kumar said.
Maoists have stepped up violence across eastern and central India. They have attacked schools and police stations, and used landmines and Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) to disrupt infrastructure development projects.
The main objective of the Maoists is to prevent the development of infrastructure in remote areas, which so far has remained their exclusive domain.
Thousands have been killed by Maoists in the recent past. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has described the Maoist threat one of the gravest homegrown threats to India`s internal security.
The rebels claim they are fighting for the rights of poor farmers and landless labourers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes