Jharkhand records low infant mortality rate of 36/1000
Ranchi: Jharkhand`s infant mortality rate (IMR) is as low as 36 per 1000 live births, as per the recently released Annual Health Survey (AHS) 2012-13, said a UNICEF release Wednesday.
The IMR (death rate of children below 1 year) declined from 41 per 1000 live births in 2010-11 to 38 in 2011-12 and now to 36 in 2012-13, it said.
A survey was conducted in 304 districts across nine states -? Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Bihar, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan, Odisha and Assam by the office of the Registrar General of India, it said.
Jharkhand`s IMR is the lowest among the states.
According to the survey report, five districts (East Singhbhum with IMR of 25, Dhanbad-26, Bokaro-28, Giridih?28 and Koderma? 27) in Jharkhand have already achieved the Millennium Development Goal (MDG) of reducing infant mortality rate to 28.
Another four districts (Hazaribagh with IMR of 29, Ranchi ? 30, Deoghar? 31 and Garhwa (33) in the state are on track to achieve the goal by end of 2015, the report said.
However the rate is high in Godda? 54, Sahibganj and Pakur? 52 each and West Singhbhum and Lohardaga? 53 each, it said.
Not only IMR, the neonatal mortality rate (death of children below 28 days) is also lowest in the state with 23 per 1000 live births. It declined from 26 in 2010-11, 24 in 2011-12 to 23 now.
The All India Health Survey (AHS) of 2010-11 and 2011-12 have also shown low IMR and low neonatal mortality rate in the state, the survey report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'