Jharkhand tribals protest Mother Mary in tribal attire
Ranchi: Tribals in Jharkhand have intensified their agitation against Mother Mary in tribal attire and demanded that this be reversed.
In a Ranchi church, a statue of Mother Mary has been installed in which she is wearing tribal sari, with bangles on her arm.
Thousands of tribals marched towards the church on Sunday, but the police stopped them.
"We demand removal of tribal dress from statue of Mother Mary by December 24. We have right to protect our religion. We have convened Mahapanchayat of tribal community in Ranchi on December 25 and a decision will be taken on the issue," Bandhan Tigga, a tribal religious leader, told reporters here on Monday.
Prem Sahi Munda, president of Adivasi Jan Parisad, said: "No religion has right to hurt the sentiments of another religion. By portraying Mother Mary in tribal dress, the sentiment of our community has been hurt. We also demand that the government funds meant for tribal sub-plan should not be given to Christian organizations."
On Sunday, tribal Panchayat passed a seven point resolution which includes excluding Christian tribal from reservation benefit, tribal festival like Karma and Sarhul should not be celebrated in church, and total ban on conversion of tribal people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends