Jharkhand tribals protest Mother Mary in tribal attire
Ranchi: Tribals in Jharkhand have intensified their agitation against Mother Mary in tribal attire and demanded that this be reversed.
In a Ranchi church, a statue of Mother Mary has been installed in which she is wearing tribal sari, with bangles on her arm.
Thousands of tribals marched towards the church on Sunday, but the police stopped them.
"We demand removal of tribal dress from statue of Mother Mary by December 24. We have right to protect our religion. We have convened Mahapanchayat of tribal community in Ranchi on December 25 and a decision will be taken on the issue," Bandhan Tigga, a tribal religious leader, told reporters here on Monday.
Prem Sahi Munda, president of Adivasi Jan Parisad, said: "No religion has right to hurt the sentiments of another religion. By portraying Mother Mary in tribal dress, the sentiment of our community has been hurt. We also demand that the government funds meant for tribal sub-plan should not be given to Christian organizations."
On Sunday, tribal Panchayat passed a seven point resolution which includes excluding Christian tribal from reservation benefit, tribal festival like Karma and Sarhul should not be celebrated in church, and total ban on conversion of tribal people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena