Jharkhand women`s panel has no members
Ranchi: Atrocities against women are rising in Jharkhand, but a state level panel on women`s rights has neither the chairperson nor any member, a former member said here Monday.
The Jharkhand State Commission for Women JSCW) provides for four members and the chairperson, who are appointed for a three-year term.
The last panel had two members -- Vasvi Kido and Anuradha Chaudhary -- whose term ended Aug 22. Chairperson Hemlata S. Mohan`s term ended Sep 6. Since then all posts on the commission are lying vacant.
According to police records, 799 cases of rape have been registered in the state this year, but victims find it difficult to approach anyone to get justice, said Vasvi Kido.
"We get calls from women suffering from various problems. We are now no longer members of the commission and we cannot help them officially," Kido told IANS.
She asked the state government to immediately appoint the chairperson and members to the women`s commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere