J’khand: 13 policemen including OC killed in Maoist attack
Garhwa (Jharkhand): Thirteen policemen,
including the officer-in-charge of Bhandaria police station,
were on Saturday killed and two others injured when Maoists
triggered a landmine blast near the jungles of Bariganwa in
"The Maoists triggered the blast, killing 12 policemen
and the officer-in-charge of Bhandaria police station RB
Choudhary around 11 am," SP Michael S Raj said.
"The incident of a landmine blast has been reported in the forests in Bhandaria police station and details are awaited," Superintendent of Police Michael Raj said.
According to Bhandaria police station sources, the
Maoists looted weapons from the dead policemen and set fire to
Bhandaria BDO Basudev Prasad had a narrow escape as the
blast took place minutes after his vehicle passed the spot,
Garwha, Deputy Commissioner RP Sinha said.
"The blast took place after the BDO`s vehicle crossed the
spot. After getting information that a shutdown was called by
locals today, the BDO and the policemen were going there to
convince them to call off the shutdown when the explosion took
place," Sinha said.
According to police sources, the village head of Bargarh,
about 22 km from the incident spot, called the shutdown
following an alleged dispute over the place of construction of
a health centre.
The sources also said two members of the zila parishad
and their security guard had gone missing after they were
passing the route some time after the incident.
Additional reinforcements were immediately rushed to the
spot, about 75 km from Garhwa town.
In 2001, the Maoists had ambushed six policemen near the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal