J’khand: BJP changes, votes for JMM candidate
Ranchi: Reversing its stand of abstaining,
BJP on Friday voted in favour of JMM nominee in Rajya Sabya poll
"The earlier decision was to prevent horse-trading and
today`s changed decision was also to stop horse-trading," BJP
state unit president Dineshanand Goswami said.
"Deputy Chief Minister Hemant Soren had talked to our
central leadership and requested to vote for JMM`s official
candidate. He also pledged support to the NDA in both Lok
Sabha and Rajya Sabha against the anti-people policies of the
UPA government," Goswami said.
Chief Minister Arjun Munda too said the review by the
central leadership was taken in the wake of horse-trading like
situation. "All the BJP MLAs cast votes to JMM`s official
candidate Sanjeev Kumar following a decision by the central
On BJP national leader Ananth Kumar`s statement earlier
that the party would abstain from voting to prevent horse
trading, Munda said the leadership changed it in the wake of
"a horse-trading like situation emerging in the state".
Hours before the RS polling began for two seats, the IT
and police recovered Rs 2.15 crore in cash from a car near
Namkum and detained two persons, one of them being the younger
brother of independent candidate RK Agarwal.
A couple of days ago, Agarwal, a Jamshedpur-based
businessman, had warned he would file a defamation suit
against those accusing him of horse trading.
Meanwhile, Assembly secretariat sources told PTI that
in all 79 votes were polled.
CPI (ML-Liberation) MLA Vinod Kumar Singh did not
vote, the sources said.
While CPI (ML-Liberation) had announced that its lone MLA
would abstain, one seat is vacant while there is one nominated
The EC has stopped counting of votes for Rajya Sabha
elections in Jharkhand till its probe into seizure of the cash
"Counting has not yet started as there is no further
information from the Election Commission," the sources said.
Five candidates are in the fray for two RS seats in the
state. They are Pradeep Kumar Balmachu (Congress), Praveen
Singh (JVM-P), Sanjeev Kumar (JMM) and two independent
candidates R K Agarwal and Pawan Kumar Dhoot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video