J`khand: BJP`s Ahluwalia loses RS polls; Cong, JMM win
Ranchi: In what could add to the worries of BJP, its leader SS Ahluwalia on Thursday lost Rajya Sabha polls in Jharkhand as Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) and Congress candidates won with 23 and 25 votes respectively.
Ahluwalia, who has been former deputy leader of opposition in Rajya Sabha, could garner only 20 votes.
Polling for the two Rajya Sabha seats began at 9 am Thursday in the Jharkhand assembly premises in Ranchi.
A total of 68 votes were polled in the 82-member state assembly.
BJP is heading the ruling coalition in Jharkhand in partnership with JMM although both parties have 18 MLAs each.
JMM had earlier asked BJP to withdraw its candidate in favour Sanjeev Kumar but the latter rejected the call.
Eleven members of Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantrik) and the lone MLA of CPI(ML-Liberation) abstained from voting.
There is a nominated member but the seat is vacant.
Today`s RS poll was rescheduled after it was countermanded on March 31 in the wake of allegations use of money power and horse-trading which the Election Commission said had "vitiated" the electoral process to the upper house in the state. Rs 2.15 crore was seized from the car of a relative of an independent candidate R K Agarwal.
Ahluwalia was denied nomination by BJP in the earlier round of Rajya Sabha elections when about 50 seats had been decided and he was fielded only after the countermanding of the poll in Jharkhand.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing