J’khand: NHRC seeks report on police action during protest
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission Thursday sought a report from Jharkhand government on police action on a protest against acquisition of agricultural land in which one person was killed.
Taking action on a media report, the NHRC issued notices to the Chief Secretary and Director General of Police in Jharkhand asking them to file reports within four weeks on the matter.
According to media reports, an NHRC spokesperson said, during the police action against protesters in Ranchi, one Bolo Uraon, a government servant, was killed and several others were injured.
The media report published on September 4 also carried a photo of a person partially lying under the wheels of a police vehicle, he said.
A large number of people belonging to Jharkhand Vikas Morcha were protesting against the acquisition of agricultural land when police rained batons and fired tear gas shells on the demonstrators, the spokesperson quoted the media report as saying.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?