JMM-Congress meet to stitch new alliance in Jharkhand
New Delhi: A day after the collapse of the Arjun Munda government in Jharkhand, the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) leaders led by Shibu Soren are expected to hold talks with the Congress top brass here on the possibility of cobbling up a new political alliance to form a new government in the tribal state.
The crucial meeting between the JMM and the Congress comes a day after the regional political party pulled out of the 28-month-old BJP-led coalition government.
According to reports, top JMM leaders including Hemant Soren. Simon Marandi, Mathura Mahto and Hazi Hussain Ansari will hold discussions with Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, PM manmohan Singh and other s, PM manmohan Singh and other s, PM manmohan Singh and other senior leaders.
The JMM leaders are expected to stay in Delhi till a new political alliance is stitched up.
After JMM withdrew support to the Munda government, Jharkhand appears headed for a brief spell of President`s Rule.
Chief Minister Arjun Munda, who resigned yesterday, recommended the dissolution of the state assembly and Congress showed no hurry to support formation of an alternative government.
The decision of the BJP-led government to seek dissolution of the assembly and the Chief Minister`s resignation left the situation wide open for Governor Syed Ahmed to decide the future course of action. He is said to be consulting constitutional experts.
BJP`s ruling coalition partner JMM, in a letter to the Governor, formally withdrew its support to the 28-month-old government pushing it into a minority.
Munda later met the Governor and resigned.
The decision on recommending dissolution of the House was taken at a cabinet meeting held Tuesday morning to prevent any `horse trading-like situation`, Munda told a news agency before going to the Raj Bhavan.
Jharkhand has witnessed fast-paced political developments after BJP rejected all demands of JMM including handing over of power as per an `accord` on rotational leadership of the coalition.
The BJP and JMM have 18 members each in the 81-member Jharkhand Assembly. The Congress has 13.
Jharkhand has seen eight governments in the last 12 years. All eyes are now on Governor Ahmad. He can either decide to act on the outgoing Cabinet`s recommendation and dissolve the Assembly or wait for another combine to stake claim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'