JMM legislator dies of heart attack
Ranchi: Teklal Mahto, a Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) legislator was in hospital for several days, died of a heart attack here early Tuesday, doctors said. He was 72.
Mahto was admitted at the Rajendra Institute of Medical Science (RIMS) for the last few days. He is survived by two sons and three daughters. He breathed his last at 5 am.
A legislator from Mandu constituency, Mahto was a vocal leader and one of the few legislators opposed to supporting the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led government in the state.
A five-time legislator, Mahto got elected to Lok Sabha in 2004 from Giridih.
Chief Minister Arjun Munda, JMM chief Shibu Soren, and others visited RIMS to pay tribute to the departed leader.
Terming Mahto`s demise as a big loss for the state, Munda said: "He was one the key people behind the (movement for a) separate Jharkhand."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city