JMM legislator dies of heart attack
Ranchi: Teklal Mahto, a Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) legislator was in hospital for several days, died of a heart attack here early Tuesday, doctors said. He was 72.
Mahto was admitted at the Rajendra Institute of Medical Science (RIMS) for the last few days. He is survived by two sons and three daughters. He breathed his last at 5 am.
A legislator from Mandu constituency, Mahto was a vocal leader and one of the few legislators opposed to supporting the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led government in the state.
A five-time legislator, Mahto got elected to Lok Sabha in 2004 from Giridih.
Chief Minister Arjun Munda, JMM chief Shibu Soren, and others visited RIMS to pay tribute to the departed leader.
Terming Mahto`s demise as a big loss for the state, Munda said: "He was one the key people behind the (movement for a) separate Jharkhand."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen