JMM legislator dies of heart attack
Ranchi: Teklal Mahto, a Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) legislator was in hospital for several days, died of a heart attack here early Tuesday, doctors said. He was 72.
Mahto was admitted at the Rajendra Institute of Medical Science (RIMS) for the last few days. He is survived by two sons and three daughters. He breathed his last at 5 am.
A legislator from Mandu constituency, Mahto was a vocal leader and one of the few legislators opposed to supporting the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led government in the state.
A five-time legislator, Mahto got elected to Lok Sabha in 2004 from Giridih.
Chief Minister Arjun Munda, JMM chief Shibu Soren, and others visited RIMS to pay tribute to the departed leader.
Terming Mahto`s demise as a big loss for the state, Munda said: "He was one the key people behind the (movement for a) separate Jharkhand."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police