JMM not optimistic on govt formation in Jharkhand
Ranchi: The JMM said it was not "optimistic" about a "positive outcome" from Delhi after the Congress on Tuesday said it was waiting for its high command`s direction on whether to support a new dispensation in Jharkhand to end the President`s rule.
"The Congress is not responsible for the imposition of President`s rule. It happened due to the internal conflicts within the BJP-led coalition," JPCC chief Sukhdeo Bhagat said at a press conference here.
"After the fall of the government, the JMM established contact with us (for formation of a new government). We have kept the matter before the party leadership, and will abide by whatever direction is given to us," Bhagat said.
On why leader of Opposition R P Singh and he had been to the JMM chief Shibu Soren`s residence on June 16 when the latter was holding party meetings, Bhagat said, "we went because communication channel should remain open between two like-minded parties."
Reacting to the Congress statement, JMM`s General Secretary Suprio Bhattacharya today said the party was `not optimistic` about the Congress` decision on government formation.
"We have already made our stand clear that governance through President`s rule is not proper, and a decision should be taken whichever way," Bhattacharya said, indicating either Congress should support the JMM to form a government or it should go ahead with dissolution of the house to seek fresh mandate.
He said the JMM was ready to face any situation,"If assembly elections are to be held first, it is okay. If Lok Sabha polls are to be held first, it is also okay. We will fight on our own strength."
After holding its Legislature Party and executive committee meetings on June 16, JMM Legislature Party leader and former deputy chief minister Hemant Soren had said the party still favoured a popular government and other political parties should make their stand clear whether they want a democratic government or not in Jharkhand.
President`s rule was imposed on January 18 following JMM`s withdrawal of support to the Arjun Munda government on January 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez