JMM seeks time to form government in Jharkhand
Ranchi: The Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) on Saturday sought more time for the formation of an alternative government in the state.
JMM chief Shibu Soren, his son Hemant Soren and other leaders met Governor Syed Ahmad at 11.30 am.
"We had requested the Governor to give us some more time for formation of the government in the state," said Hemant Soren while talking to reporters here.
Hemant Soren returned here on Friday night after meeting Congress leaders in Delhi. He said that the Congress would decide about the formation of an alternative government.
The 28-month BJP-led Arjun Munda government fell after JMM withdrew support on January 08. The Munda Cabinet had recommended dissolution of the State Assembly.
The state Congress unit has yet to get concrete assurance from the Congress high command, say party sources.
Jharkhand Congress legislators and leaders are in favour of the formation of the alternative government.
JMM has been exploring the possibility of forming a government in the state with Congress backing.
Jharkhand Congress legislators, Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and some independents could support an alternative government led by the JMM.
If such an agreement were to be arrived at, the Congress, RJD and independents, along with the JMM could attempt a coalition comprising 41 legislators.
Of the 82 legislators in the state, 37 are in favour of fresh polls.
The 37 include 18 of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), six of All Jharkhand Students` Union (AJSU), two of Janata Dal-United (JD-U) and 11 of the Jharkhand Vikas Morch-P (JVM-P).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!