JMM seeks time to form government in Jharkhand
Ranchi: The Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) on Saturday sought more time for the formation of an alternative government in the state.
JMM chief Shibu Soren, his son Hemant Soren and other leaders met Governor Syed Ahmad at 11.30 am.
"We had requested the Governor to give us some more time for formation of the government in the state," said Hemant Soren while talking to reporters here.
Hemant Soren returned here on Friday night after meeting Congress leaders in Delhi. He said that the Congress would decide about the formation of an alternative government.
The 28-month BJP-led Arjun Munda government fell after JMM withdrew support on January 08. The Munda Cabinet had recommended dissolution of the State Assembly.
The state Congress unit has yet to get concrete assurance from the Congress high command, say party sources.
Jharkhand Congress legislators and leaders are in favour of the formation of the alternative government.
JMM has been exploring the possibility of forming a government in the state with Congress backing.
Jharkhand Congress legislators, Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and some independents could support an alternative government led by the JMM.
If such an agreement were to be arrived at, the Congress, RJD and independents, along with the JMM could attempt a coalition comprising 41 legislators.
Of the 82 legislators in the state, 37 are in favour of fresh polls.
The 37 include 18 of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), six of All Jharkhand Students` Union (AJSU), two of Janata Dal-United (JD-U) and 11 of the Jharkhand Vikas Morch-P (JVM-P).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued