JMM seeks time to form government in Jharkhand
Ranchi: The Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) on Saturday sought more time for the formation of an alternative government in the state.
JMM chief Shibu Soren, his son Hemant Soren and other leaders met Governor Syed Ahmad at 11.30 am.
"We had requested the Governor to give us some more time for formation of the government in the state," said Hemant Soren while talking to reporters here.
Hemant Soren returned here on Friday night after meeting Congress leaders in Delhi. He said that the Congress would decide about the formation of an alternative government.
The 28-month BJP-led Arjun Munda government fell after JMM withdrew support on January 08. The Munda Cabinet had recommended dissolution of the State Assembly.
The state Congress unit has yet to get concrete assurance from the Congress high command, say party sources.
Jharkhand Congress legislators and leaders are in favour of the formation of the alternative government.
JMM has been exploring the possibility of forming a government in the state with Congress backing.
Jharkhand Congress legislators, Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and some independents could support an alternative government led by the JMM.
If such an agreement were to be arrived at, the Congress, RJD and independents, along with the JMM could attempt a coalition comprising 41 legislators.
Of the 82 legislators in the state, 37 are in favour of fresh polls.
The 37 include 18 of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), six of All Jharkhand Students` Union (AJSU), two of Janata Dal-United (JD-U) and 11 of the Jharkhand Vikas Morch-P (JVM-P).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal