JPP demands `Greater Jharkhand`
Jamshedpur: Two days after the decision to form Telangana, Jharkhand People`s Party (JPP) on Thursday renewed its demand for `Greater Jharkhand` merging parts of West Bengal, Odisha and Chhattisgarh with the existing state.
`Greater Jharkhand` consists of Purulia, Bankura and Midnapore districts of West Bengal, Mayurbhanj, Keonjhar, Sundergarh and Sambalpur districts of Odisha and Sarguja and Raigarh districts of Chattisgarh along with present Jharkhand, JPP President Surya Singh Besra told reporters here.
Besra said the ethnic and cultural identity and geo-political situation of these tribal dominated districts of the states were similar and should be merged with Jharkhand, which was accorded a separate statehood following bifurcation of Bihar in 2000.
Stating that the demand for `Greater Jharkhand` was about eight decades old, Besra said the demand for smaller states was growing louder since the Union Government had decided to accord statehood to Telangana bifurcating Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city