JSPCB orders immediate closure of 22 mines
Dhanbad: The Jharkhand State Pollution Control Board (JSPCB) ordered immediate closure of 22 open cast and underground mines of the Bharat Coking Coal Limited (BCCL), a senior JSPCB member said on Tuesday.
The member secretary of JSPCB, S K Sinha said, the orders were served after getting state government`s clearance and were served to the managements (project officers) of the coalmines concerned for immediate implementation.
All these mines are being operated by out sourcing, he said, and added the JSPCB had also issued show cause notice to Dhanbad-based (one each) mine of Indian Iron and Steel Company Limited (IISCO) and Eastern Coalfield Limited (ECL).
The action has been taken against these coalmines on two grounds firstly, enhancement of production capacity and secondly, changing technology (under ground mines into open cast mines) without getting environment clearance from Union Ministry of environment and forest, he added.
The 22 mines of BCCL are among others: Fularitand open cast project (OCP) and underground mines, Muraidih Colliery OCP, Shatabdi OCP, Block-2, Jamunia OCP, AKVM OCP, Modidih OCP and underground mines, Tetulmari OCP, Gondudih OCP, Khash Kusunda OCP, Kusunda OCP, Jeenagora OCP, Bhowra South OCP, Gopali chuk OCP, Murlidih OCP and Govindpur OCP.
The show cause notice has been served to Khudia Colliery of ECL and Chasnala Colliery of IISCO. The action would be initiated after their reply, an official of Polution control board`s Dhanbad unit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary - Part II
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary - Part III
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary - Part IV
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- IPL 2016 Final: SunRisers Hyderabad defeat Royal Challengers Bangalore by 8 runs to win maiden title
- Coal auction to get Rs 3.45 lakh crore; Rs 36k crore saving via DBT: Government
- Hardik Patel calls for stir against donations to schools, colleges in Gujarat
- Perez grabs 3rd spot, gives Force India 4th ever podium finish
- Two dead, including one suspect, in Houston shooting: Police