JVM-P farmers wing to launch indefinite hunger strike
Ranchi: The Jharkhand Vikas Morcha
(Prajatantric) today said its farmers’ wing, Kishan Morcha,
would launch an indefinite hunger strike from August 26 to put
pressure on the government to declare Jharkhand as famine hit
instead of drought hit.
"We have repeatedly urged and gave memorandum to Governor
M O H Farooq demanding Jharkhand be declared as famine-hit.
But our requests fell on deaf ears and the state was declared
as drought-hit instead of announcing it as famine-hit,"
JVM-P’s principal general secretary Pradip Yadav told at a
news conference here.
"Our Kishan Morcha will launch an indefinite hunger
strike from August 26 to put pressure on the government to
convert its decision into famine-hit," he added.
He warned that if the government would ignore their
hunger strike then the party would chalk out its next course
of action in the interest of the farming community and the
"Jharkhand meets all the guidelines under famine code
like two successive years of drought, migration, shortage of
fodder for cattle heads, black marketing of grains and
increase in crime," claimed Yadav and demanded the visiting
Central team to meet all the political leaders to take their
views on Jharkhand situation emerging out of scanty rainfall.
The officials of the central team would visit several
districts to take stock of the situation after the state
declared it as drought-hit on Monday.
The JMM, the RJD and the left parties have already
opined that the state deserved to be declared as famine-hit
and demanded that the Centre should announce a special
financial package to save the ‘distressed farmers’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'
- Hafiz Saeed's son-in-law masterminded terror attack on CRPF convoy in Pampore: Report
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit