JVM-P farmers wing to launch indefinite hunger strike
Ranchi: The Jharkhand Vikas Morcha
(Prajatantric) today said its farmers’ wing, Kishan Morcha,
would launch an indefinite hunger strike from August 26 to put
pressure on the government to declare Jharkhand as famine hit
instead of drought hit.
"We have repeatedly urged and gave memorandum to Governor
M O H Farooq demanding Jharkhand be declared as famine-hit.
But our requests fell on deaf ears and the state was declared
as drought-hit instead of announcing it as famine-hit,"
JVM-P’s principal general secretary Pradip Yadav told at a
news conference here.
"Our Kishan Morcha will launch an indefinite hunger
strike from August 26 to put pressure on the government to
convert its decision into famine-hit," he added.
He warned that if the government would ignore their
hunger strike then the party would chalk out its next course
of action in the interest of the farming community and the
"Jharkhand meets all the guidelines under famine code
like two successive years of drought, migration, shortage of
fodder for cattle heads, black marketing of grains and
increase in crime," claimed Yadav and demanded the visiting
Central team to meet all the political leaders to take their
views on Jharkhand situation emerging out of scanty rainfall.
The officials of the central team would visit several
districts to take stock of the situation after the state
declared it as drought-hit on Monday.
The JMM, the RJD and the left parties have already
opined that the state deserved to be declared as famine-hit
and demanded that the Centre should announce a special
financial package to save the ‘distressed farmers’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?