JVM to abstain in Jharkhand RS polls: Marandi
Ranchi: Peeved at Congress rejecting its proposal to field a joint opposition candidate for the Rajya Sabha elections, Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (JVM-Prajatantric) Monday said that it would abstain from voting on May three.
"All our 11 MLAs will stay away from voting because Congress failed to adhere to the coalition dharma by rejecting our alternatives and unilaterally announced its candidate for a Rajya Sabha seat," JVM President Babulal Marandi said at a press conference here.
The party made the announcement after Congress re-nominated Pradeep Kumar Balmachu to contest one of the two RS seats.
JVM, which had fielded Praveen Singh in the countermanded March-30 elections, lacked required numbers to win a seat for the Upper House, Marandi said.
Meanwhile, the Congress candidate filed his nomination papers on the last day today to join the fray along with JMM?s Sanjeev Kumar and BJP?s S S Ahluwalia for the two seats.
Marandi said Congress had also rejected JVM’s request to field a common candidate from 12 eminent persons of the state for the bypoll to the Hatia assembly seat.
The party felt let down by the Congress because the JVM was lending unconditional support to the Manmohan Singh government at the Centre after the 2009 general elections, allied with it in the 2009 assembly elections and supported Congress candidate Dheeraj Sahu in a RS election in 2010, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?