JVM to abstain in Jharkhand RS polls: Marandi
Ranchi: Peeved at Congress rejecting its proposal to field a joint opposition candidate for the Rajya Sabha elections, Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (JVM-Prajatantric) Monday said that it would abstain from voting on May three.
"All our 11 MLAs will stay away from voting because Congress failed to adhere to the coalition dharma by rejecting our alternatives and unilaterally announced its candidate for a Rajya Sabha seat," JVM President Babulal Marandi said at a press conference here.
The party made the announcement after Congress re-nominated Pradeep Kumar Balmachu to contest one of the two RS seats.
JVM, which had fielded Praveen Singh in the countermanded March-30 elections, lacked required numbers to win a seat for the Upper House, Marandi said.
Meanwhile, the Congress candidate filed his nomination papers on the last day today to join the fray along with JMM?s Sanjeev Kumar and BJP?s S S Ahluwalia for the two seats.
Marandi said Congress had also rejected JVM’s request to field a common candidate from 12 eminent persons of the state for the bypoll to the Hatia assembly seat.
The party felt let down by the Congress because the JVM was lending unconditional support to the Manmohan Singh government at the Centre after the 2009 general elections, allied with it in the 2009 assembly elections and supported Congress candidate Dheeraj Sahu in a RS election in 2010, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog